All That Glitters

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

It's the Little Things


Does anyone else feel like this week is taking forever? Maybe it's due to the promise of a three-day weekend (thanks Labor Day!) or maybe it's because of the grey weather, how busy work has been or my lousy mood - who knows. Whatever the cause, I can't believe it's only Wednesday. 

Anyway...

If you know me at all, you know that my emotions often get the best of me. I'm not a very optimistic person, though I do have my moments, and I tend to stay more on the negative side of things. I overanalyze and overthink things, which usually has a tremendous affect on my mood and outlook. 



Believe me: it's truly something I wish I could change about myself. If i'm upset, you'll know. Unhappy? You'll definitely be able to guess. Happy? You may or may not be able to tell. I'm a complicated person, what can I say. 

As of late, all I want to do is work on being more genuinely happy and more positive and upbeat. Part of the way I'm tackling this is to find the joy in the little things. 

Thankfully, I grew up doing it, thanks to my mother who made me pause and look at the moon, the sky and pretty flowers. She would drag me into the middle of the street to look at a full moon or stand at the windows and enjoy a beautiful sunset. I didn't appreciate it when I was younger, but, as they say, time changes things. Sometimes I'll forget to seek out the small moments and won't make them a priority, but more often than not, I remember. 

So here's a list of the little things that bring a smile to my face and warmth to my heart: 

- cuddling up during thunderstorms
- christmas music 
- a warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie
- dancing the night away with my best friend 
- Harbor Springs, Michigan 
- a letter in the mail, not in an inbox
- football games 
- kittens (and let's be serious, baby animals in general)
- the freckles that come out during summer
- warm movie theater popcorn 
- that feeling after an amazing workout
- sweatshirts
- people with manners 
- surprises of the good kind
- photobooth picture strips
- Optimus Prime
- fresh donuts from the cider mill on a cool fall day 
- heartfelt, honest conversations
- family meals 
- giving and receiving cards 
- long drives with the perfect music
- random acts of kindness
- finding something on a sale or a great deal
- summer bonfires with s'mores and friends 
- taking a perfect picture
- a Frank Sinatra song 

Okay, so I could keep going for about another year or so because there are a lot of things that make me happy (mooses, superheros, comics, Star Wars, food, movies, books, music, etc.). Finding the joy in the littlest things throughout your day really makes a difference. It really is a mood-booster. 

So take some extra time and appreciate everything around you. Be happy




- A

No comments:

Post a Comment