All That Glitters

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Introducing: the New Tattoo!


Someone is warming up pizza in our lunch room toaster oven, and I loathe them for it.

It shouldn't be allowed for someone to make the entire floor smell like delicious pizza when some of us actually watch what we eat. Let's be serious, one of my biggest wishes is to be one of those people that eat pizza 24/7 and stay skinny. The fact that I'm not is a life let down

Anyway. 

I got my second tattoo, ladies and gents! 

When people say you can't stop after your first, they're not lying. I never truly believed those people when they told me that, and now I'm an actual example of just how true it is. I've been bit by the ink bug, and the itch ain't stopping! 



It's a semi-colon and it means more to me than just a simple punctuation mark. 

As a child, I was a devoted reader and writer; words were my thing. Growing up, that hasn't changed a bit, though the time I have to read for pleasure has greatly diminished. Even now, my whole life revolves around reading, writing and the ever-present use of grammar, punctuation and words due to my job. 

The semi-colon is a very controversial symbol in the literary world: Some people hate it, some people won't write without it. Its existence is constantly being dissected and its purpose is often complicated. In an odd way, I relate to that.

It also represents a point or an opportunity to stop, yet the choice to keep going. For me, it means not giving up - pushing through - and continuing on through whatever hardships may surface.



Ben MacIntyre, columnist in The Times, wrote: "Americans have long regarded the semi-colon with suspicion, as a genteel, self-conscious, neither-one-thing-nor-the other sort of punctuation mark, with neither the butchness of a full colon nor the flighty promiscuity of the comma." 

I'm an extremely self-conscious person, who is neither one thing or another, and I consider myself a perfect example of an oxymoron. Like the ever-present rivalry between my more boyish side (football, sports, cars, action movies) and my girlier side (sparkles, dresses). The girlier side usually loses - what can I say, I'm a guy's girl. 

Regardless, this tattoo has a ton of meaning for me and it represents me perfectly. Though I adore my other tattoo and its constant reminders, this one really bares witness to my soul and who I am

It also hurt like a bitch, so it better be meaningful! Girl please. But really, the pain was worth it because I have this awesome, simple, beautiful, symbolic piece with me forever. 


Now... what's next? 


- A

2 comments:

  1. I love it. It's so perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUPER cool tat! Love the placement and the meaning behind it :)

    ReplyDelete