Well ladies and gentlemen, I've bravely joined a whole new world. A world filled with needles, ink and art. If you haven't guessed it already, let me help you: I'm the proud new owner of a tattoo.
| My newest ink :) |
I want to talk about the process of it all, the benefit and need of finding a great place and artist, the importance of reassurance, good friends and knowledge, and how I'm totally in love with my new tat. Sound good? Good.
-------------------
I actually got my first tattoo recommendation from a girl working at Nordstrom. She was covered in tattoos and I asked her where she got them done. She told me about the place, the artist and even showed me his Instagram page where he posts some of his work. I instantly loved it and concluded that I would get my work done there. The next step was coming up with a design. I've always had a few ideas floating around in my head of things that I wanted to get, or a theme of an idea (like something for my brother who passed away when I was younger) but, like I said, I could never nail down an official design. My friend introduced me to the karma symbol a few months ago and ever since, I wanted it incorporated. Then I found a picture on Pinterest of an arrow, and that's when inspiration hit. I grabbed my notebook, and doodled out a design. I instantly loved it, showed my friends who all reciprocated my thoughts, and decided that's what I wanted my first tattoo to be. After calling the store and looking into it more in depth, I decided that it was too far away to be efficient - it was over an hour and 20 minutes away. Driving for a consultation then driving home, then going back and forth again was a lot when I have a full-time job that comes first (and only leaves travel time for prime rush hour). So I scrapped that idea. I did some more research and found Chroma Tattoo in West Bloomfield. It's right by my boyfriend's parent's house, so knowing the location was a relief. The website was well put together, clean and detailed. I looked through the artist's work and really liked the owner, Tom's, clean lines. I set up a consultation that day. I also spent some time reading the FAQ, which, as my best friend will tell you, really was the deciding factor. It was SO thorough with detail, yet honest. It eased my worries and really made me feel like I was making the right choice.
After work, my BF and I drove to Chroma to meet with Tom. Walking into the shop, I was instantly impressed with the atmosphere and how clean it was. It was organized and had paintings all over the walls - not generic tattoos. I felt comfortable instantly. I met Tom and he took me into his room. We talked about what tattoo I wanted, the size, the placement, etc. He told me, unlike some artists, that he doesn't solely care about what the tattoo looks like now - lots of people can whip out nice looking designs. He cares about what it would look like in 15 - 20 years: what areas might blend over time, details that would disappear, etc. He cared about the future of my tattoo and wanted it to look its best. He said he would sketch out designs, we made an appointment, and then sat and talked about zombies and his first tattoo.
The day came and I was nervous ALL DAY. My body officially hated me for the amount of stress I was putting it through. However, my mind seemed to be at ease. Tom did such a good job of explaining things and reassuring me that I was no longer afraid. But try telling that to my body. Anyway, I ate an hour beforehand like he told me to, put on comfy sweatpants and grabbed a water before driving to the shop. We got there and they gave Lauren and I some candy before going back to his room - always a wonderful plus. We solidified the placement and the size, then he started putting out his tools. He used sterile, one-time use equipment and thoroughly checked them over under a light. I laid down on the chair and prepared myself. He gave me two quick pointers, said if I needed him to stop to just let him know, and away we went! It really didn't hurt that bad - I psyched myself up for something it wasn't. At times, it was worse but it was quick and not excruciating. It was just a buzzing feeling, with a lot of vibrations. My boyfriend held my hand and my best friend read me a book. Soon after, it was over. I looked in the mirror, filled with happiness and relief... and almost passed out. All the stress from the entire day, plus my standing up way too fast, flooded to my head and almost caused me to fall right there on the floor. But I laid back down, drank some water and listened to his directions of after-care. We talked for a bit, I paid, then left.
--------------------
So that was it. I know I jumped around a lot, so excuse me for that, but I just wanted to give an overview of what I experienced. I cannot express enough how important research/knowledge is, as well as finding an amazing place where you feel comfortable. It's so beneficial to find an artist that is truthful, yet knowledgeable, and reassuring. Hell, if I wouldn't have found Tom, I probably wouldn't have done it.
If you decide to get a tattoo, take people you care about with you. Having my boyfriend and best friend there helped me through it more than you would ever believe. Jonathan let me
Knowledge really IS power when it comes to tattoos. The FAQ and my artist both taught me so much and, like I keep repeating, reassured me of what to expect and how to take care of it. I was a nervous ball of stress with an increased heart rate, sweaty everything and a flip flopping stomach, yet he reassured me that the pain wouldn't be terrible and I could get through it. He totally eased my worries, let me know that he was there for me and would make me feel comfortable, and treated me kindly. Ugh. Okay, I'm rambling. Moving on...
I am completely in love with my tattoo. I know that they're not for everyone, but I love the thought of having a daily reminder somewhere where only I can see it, close to me and on my skin. I'm sure this feeling will pass in a couple months when it's not so fresh, but right now, I keep catching myself staring at it. It represents so much for me and the positive direction I am constantly striving for.
That's my first tattoo story. I hope if you are interested in getting something done, you take the time to really find an artist/place that makes you feel the way I did. Or, just go to Chroma and get the same wonderful treatment :)
Here's to ink... and my next tattoo!
- A
I absolutely love Chroma. Definitely going there for my next tattoo.
ReplyDeleteLooks great!
ReplyDeleteCoffee Beans and Bobby Pins
Mary Nichol Handbag Giveaway!
Thanks so much! XO
Deletecute blog! new follower :) hopeu will follow back!
ReplyDeleteXO Meghan
aw thanks! I appreciate the follow! I'd be happy to do the same :)
Delete