All That Glitters
Monday, April 29, 2013
No Leggings Allowed and SHUSH
Happy Monday, folks. Just another day, another dollar. However, it's a warmer Monday which makes it that much better! I'm currently lacking the motivation to edit a blog post for one of my magazines because it's about something I really don't understand; what better way to remedy that than to blog a personal post?
There is no better way. Clearly. Well, maybe Pinterest...
Anyway, I was struggling with a topic this morning, when my dear friend, twin and office lifemate, Anna, gave me the idea to talk about the thing that brought us together, the office, and the pet peeves that stem from it. This post is similar to my gym post, and if you can't tell, a lot of things tend to bother me.
So, let's start the What Not To Do in the Office countdown!
#1: Look like you're going to the club. Leggings are not appropriate attire for the office, no matter how low-key the dress code may be. Neither are stripper shoes, tight dresses, insane amounts of makeup, etc. My office is pretty much as relaxed as it comes: jeans are acceptable any day of the week, some people wear sweatshirts or t-shirts every day, etc. However, this does not mean leggings are a-okay. They should be left for bar nights, workouts at the gym, lazy weekends and grocery shopping. Also, see through shirts - probably not the best professional attire choice. If I wear a shirt that is a little see through, I make sure a tank top is underneath it and it's not too risque. Some girls in my office think a bra is suitable. Paired with leggings? Girl, you be crazy. And really unprofessional.
#2: DIY. Poor Anna has this happen to her 24/7. Sending someone an email, telling them to do something, when it would actually take less time just to do it yourself? Annoying to all parties involved. Just handle yo' shit.
#3: PPCG. I'm sorry, but when did office hours become the time to handle all your personal phone calls? Calling your mom, besties or boyfriend isn't really necessary while at work. That's why they invented texting. No one in the cubes next to you want to hear your drama. Promise. Specially when you talk about personal things that probably shouldn't be talked about within ear shot of any human being ever.
#4: Closed door policy. You have an office. With a door. Do you know how to use it? Here, let me help. When you feel the need to have a conversation with someone about things like your cats, sports or your children, shut the door so poor people outside your office can get work done. If you're about to have a long phone conversation in which you feel the need to yell or talk rather loudly, you close that door! My job is to read, edit and write; a few things that I can't concentrate on when dealing with your loud conversations and talking. You're lucky enough to have a door - so please, shut it.
#5: Talky McTalkersons. It's totally cool to have conversations with people in the office - hey, my friends and I talk each and every day about things, our weekends or whatever. But those convos don't last an hour. Nor do we talk so loud that people in other areas of the building can hear every last letter. Ever heard of an inside voice? Let's go back to elementary school and re-learn, before I come over there and bop you on the head for being so loud and obnoxious.
#6: Middle stallers. Why, oh why do people feel the need to go in the stall right next to you, when they can leave a one-stall buffer zone? People that always go in the middle stall regardless bug me to no end. Respect your neighbor, people!
#7: Lazy Suzy. There used to be a girl in the office that would work for maybe three hours. She would come in around 11 and leave by, like, 2. I'm sorry, but what? How? I'm working my butt off for 8 hours a day, I come in when I'm supposed to and leave when I'm supposed to. Why do you get to do whatever you want? That just screams "lack of work ethic" to me.
#8: Rude people. 'Nuff said.
#9: Watching my figure. I'm sorry, but does there really need to be cake, pastries, cookies, bagels or cupcakes in the break room every single day? I just walked in to grab my light yogurt, and there, sitting on the table, is a giant chocolate cake. And a plate of brownies. I feel like there's always some tempting treat, squawking at me to come and eat it. Luckily, I'm a big-enough health nut to rarely indulge. But a lot of people here do not eat healthy, as apparent by that as well as what's in the fridges. Gross.
#10: No need for that. Some people have things in their cubes or on their computers that don't really need to be seen or I find pretty obnoxious. Yes, my cube is semi-decorated, but it doesn't include horror images/characters, incessant pictures of cats, creepy things, etc. You're an individual and you should have what makes you happy layering your bland, grey walls, but keep it classy and friendly. Please and thank you.
Those are just a few of my office pet peeves. I positively adore, love and am incredibly thankful for my job, but some people just don't know what professional or quiet means. And that can be found in any office setting, anywhere.
Stay honest, my friends.
- A
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Just in general life I HATE when people choose the stall next to you in the bathroom when there are tons of free ones available. Just thinking about it now aggravates me!
ReplyDeleteHaha - Jessica, I totally agree! It makes no sense to me whatsoever!
ReplyDelete