All That Glitters

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Maturing Moments


Ladies and gents, does anyone else feel like this week has gone excruciatingly slow? The days go by decently fast, but the week itself is moving at a snail's pace. I can't believe it's only Thursday. Hopefully (and less than likely), that means that the weekend will go by just as slow! A girl can dream, right? 

For my post today, I want to talk about something that I've been thinking about a little more than usual lately. Today, I want to talk about growing up

From the time we're kids to teenagers, we focus a lot of time and energy into growing up and acting older than we actually are (at least us girls do). We were always looking forward to the next birthday, the next step, or the next thing we're allowed to do because of our age. But once we surpass all the fun and enter the real world, are we officially grown ups? Adults? Sure, our birth certificate says we're over 18 making us legally adults, but do our actions and life choices equal true grown up status? 

What is the live event that makes us officially grown ups? Once we're engaged? Once we're living on our own? Once we're married, have a house, have kids? Or do we only grow up on the outside, with new responsibilities and bills, but stay young at heart forever? I think the answer is it truly depends on the person. Some people never grow up, while others are forced to grow up too soon. Someone may mature at 28, while others may finally fact the facts at 35. I, however, think 25 is a pretty maturing number. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because that's the age when you're finally figuring out your life and what direction you want to go in. I don't know. 

Another question I have is, what's the age when we start acting more like adults? The other day, I saw a tweet from someone talking negatively about someone else (vaguetweeting) and calling them a "bitch." This said tweeter happens to be 26/27 years old. And they're still talking shit behind people's backs on social media. Really? When I'm that age (in 3/4 years), I hope to be happily engaged with a house and a great job. I want to be hanging out with the right people, still playing sports and just continuing to enjoy life. But one thing I won't be doing? Backstabbing people. Talking negatively about people behind their backs. Because at that age, I'll be mature enough to talk through problems with people or, if that's not a viable option, keeping it to myself. I also know some almost-30-year-olds that are pretty immature in the same respect. I actually think I'm more mature and I'm five years younger. What's the age when all the foolish girl-drama, backstabbing, drinking-too-much, immature actions stop? Truthfully, I wish to be nothing like the people I'm referring to and I bet you money that I won't be. 

I could have taken that in a very open, honest and bitchy direction, but I'm better than that. I'm not stooping to their level. Maybe they're the type of people that won't ever grow up - and you know what, that's fine! I just won't be around to see it because I'll be living my adult life happily somewhere else. 

Okay... now I'm worried that I sound presumptuous (or judgey), which is not my intention at all.

I'm 23 (almost 24) and still sleep with a stuffed animal... and my boyfriend. Little kid status to the EXTREME. I also go out dancing, sometimes have a little too much fun, enjoy coloring books and watch cartoons. Some of these things will stick around for years, but I'm thinking that I'll grow out of some of them, too. My point is, once I reach my late twenties, I want to be at a different place in my life. I want to be mature and more grown up, yet still exhibit some of the lovable, kid-like tendencies that are a part of me. I don't want to be the same person I am right now only with a better job or a bigger living space - I want to be a better, older version with those things. And I don't think dancing until 2 a.m. at Luna then will be what it is to me right now. 

So what do I want in the future? 


Dogs: Bernese Mountain Dog, French Bulldogs, Great Danes, etc. 

A love that heals me, makes me stronger and leaves me breathless (and an amazing wedding). 

A house that I make my own, complete with sports den, comfy couches and a cottage up north.

A wonderful group of friends that are always there for me, through thick and thin, whom I can trust and have random movie, Margarita, eat-all-the-food nights with.

My family, of course, because I would be nothing without them. 

Happiness, success, peace and forgiveness. 


....and a walk in closet, with a bunch of wonderful clothes. 


I don't know what it takes for people to grow up - the magical happening that changes a person into a mature adult. And I don't know what age causes people to finally realize they need to grow up a little. I just know that that time is coming for me. And I'll embrace it completely and fully, with open arms...

...and a stuffed animal in my bed. 


 - A

(Without realizing it, my post is actually the topic of a linkup with Whitney! Believe me, if I knew about this, my above plan for growing up would be a lot more fun and a lot less realistic. Victoria's Secret body while eating whatever I want, Steelers season tickets, etc.) 




No comments:

Post a Comment