All That Glitters

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Dear You, Love Me.


I have been contemplating whether or not I want to write this blog today or wait until next week.

I'm not one to post multiple times a week, and I already had my little rant on Monday.  But, alas, today is a rather slow day and the need-to-write bug has bitten me. So all you little readers/cupcakes out there get another dose of Alexis this week - please try and hold back your excitement. 

To begin, this post is going to be a little different. It's not going to talk about a specific topic, feeling or thought, and it's not going to be a rant either. I don't necessarily know what sparked the idea, but I want to write letters to anonymous people in my life. My little minions, you might not be able to follow along because you'll have no idea who I'm talking about or what, but I truly hope that my honesty touches you in some way. Yes, I'm more than likely a coward for not being able to say a lot of this stuff in person, but writing's my thing and, let's be serious, it's a hell-of-a-lot easier. 

I have quite a few people in mind that I'd like to write letters to, so this may post may include multiple letters or, the first letter I write might flow out of me so easily, it turns into a longer than necessary declaration. In which case, I'll finish the rest of my letters next week.  We'll never know unless I start, right? 


Dear Shall-Remain-Nameless-Person, 

I'm guessing that you'll more than likely be able to tell that this letter is for you, but maybe I'll be sneaky enough to keep it from being so obvious. There are plenty of things that I wish I could tell you on a more daily basis, but I fear that I'd sound, A. like a broken record, and B. like a complete weirdo. But you're weird too, so it would be probably be fine. 

For starters, I want to tell you how much our friendship means to me. I don't know if I've ever fully been able to put into words the extent of how much it means to me, but I know I've briefly brought it up before. Fate brought us together, and I'll never have enough lifetimes to be able to repay the universe for that. Without you, my life would be terrible and I'd never know what it feels like to have a sister. (You just figured out this is for you, didn't you.) 

It's true: we fight a lot. We both get moody a lot. We disagree sometimes. But that's what family does. That's what siblings do! Or, at least, I think - I can only assume about that one. As you've told me before, "we fight big, but we love big too." We usually make up in... oh, about two hours because we can't stand not talking to each other. If that's not a sign of true friendship, then I don't know what is. We laugh about the most random things together. And really, let's be serious, we laugh at pretty much anything. We have ridiculous amounts of inside jokes and memories, and I know I can always count on you for a listening ear, advice, honesty and cheering up. 

But I want to talk about you for a minute here. I don't think you give yourself enough credit in life. You are one of the smartest (though forgetful), most curious, adventurous, fun-loving, ambitious people I know. Not to mention absolutely gorgeous. I wish to be more like you in more ways than you would ever realize. Do you realize that you are constantly striving to learn about things? Always looking up things that the normal human being wouldn't think about for two seconds? You never let people get away with shit - even me. And you're not afraid to say what you're thinking or laugh at awkward moments. You have a past that most people wouldn't have been able to get through, and yet, you're a smart, educated, successful, loving woman. (I'm grossing myself out with how cliche this is, but I can't help it.) Yes, you're stubborn (which sometimes makes me want to bop you in the mouth) and yes, you have your issues (we all do), but it makes you YOU and I love you for all of you. Basically, I want you to love yourself and see yourself as I see you. 

Although we often find ourselves subconsciously competing with each other, I want to remind you that I never have and never will think of myself as better than you. And I never want anything other than happiness for you. Yes, I'll admit, sometimes I'm selfish and want more girl time with you glued to my side, but please, never think for a second that that means I don't want you to be happy. You're the yin to my yang, and our strengths and weaknesses may be different, but that's what makes us such perfect friends. 

I think I've exhausted the cheesiness of this letter long enough and should probably just get to the conclusion. Basically, I want you to keep being you (want some wine with this cheese?). Focus on the positives like you always do, and keep being curious. I also want you to stop over analyzing things, keep reaching for your goals, and always be forthright and honest. Say exactly how you're feeling, even if you're so mad you could Hulk a building or so sad you can't stop crying. Address problems right away, even if you have to be the bigger person and bring it up. Never settle for anything less than happiness ever. And oh yeah, never stop being my friend. That's not selfish, right? 

I love you with everything in me. You're my best friend (well, that's a dead giveaway) and I don't know what I'd do without you. Hell, I'd probably be locked in a mental asylum by now if it weren't for you. 

Thanks for everything. Really. You have no idea. 

With love, Me. 


Well that was sappy, wasn't it? And longer than I planned. I could have kept going too, but I decided to spare all of you little Snoop Dogs the misery of listening to me drag on. After writing this, I think this will be the first of many letters to mystery people because I thoroughly enjoyed writing it. 

Keep an eye out for more letters next week. 

It's almost the weekend, too! Go enjoy the sunshine and warm weather! And be nice to people! And tell the truth! 

- A

No comments:

Post a Comment