All That Glitters

Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Longest Football Post in All the Land


Holy fall, Batman. I don't know why Mother Nature suddenly decided to turn down the thermostat a hasty 20-degrees, but she did it - and I don't necessarily hate it. 

As we all know, and as I've written about before, girls love fall. It's in our DNA or something; an extra "Fall" chromosome that adds a neurotic and unexplainable love of over-sized sweaters, boots and all things pumpkin. 

However, it seems I was lucky enough to be given an extra little something to my DNA strand. That would be the "All Things Football" chromosome, which reduces me to a yelling, decked-out-from-head-to-toe-in-team-gear, human garbage disposal of a girl for 7 months or so. 

With football comes tailgating, the glorious day-drinking and food-consuming fest that occurs before - and during - watching your team play. Tailgating is a tradition loved by many: park your vehicle, welcome some friends, whip out the tents and tables, start up some games, and drink and eat until your hearts content. I swear, there's nothing better on a crisp fall day!

But how do you successfully plan for a tailgate? What are the essentials? Lucky for you, I was contacted by Man Crates to share what I would put in a tailgating crate, so for all you inexperienced football fans out there, I'm here to share my expertise. 

For starters, these are my Game Day necessities: 

+ A Healthy Dose of Team Spirit. Jerseys, t-shirts, necklaces, socks - oh my! 

+ Food. I could have easily narrowed this down to burgers or hot dogs, but why limit yourself? Food is one of the best parts of a tailgate, whether it's chips and dip, hotdogs on the grill, or a big platter of brownies. It's important to stay well-fed throughout the day! How else are you going to muster the energy to play 12 games of corn hole or participate in all your teams chants? 

+ Drinks. Once again, I could have narrowed this down to beer, but who only wants to drink beer? Not me! Not with all the delicious options out there! The last tailgate I went to, I had jello shots, Fireball and a crazy-delicious drink appropriately named "Skittles." There are so many drink concoctions that aid in the art of tailgating, there should always be a variety. Get some rum and warm apple cider for those colder days or mimosas for the early starts outside the stadium. Just make sure you have enough to share! 

+ Corn Hole. Corn hole is a quintessential part of any tailgate party. It's a wonderful opportunity to spark some friendly competition with friends while you drink the day away and wait for the burgers to cook on the grill! I highly recommend every tailgate party have this game. 

So what would I put in a specially-made Man Crate tailgate crate, you ask? 

1. Extra solo cups for those perfect football drinks - and because you never want to run out!

2. Team-themed tongs to flip the burgers and dogs! I mean, this is a given, am I right?

3. Chips and guac. Or salsa. Or spinach and artichoke dip. It's an easy and delicious snack that every tailgate should have. 

4. A radio. I personally believe you have to have pre-game jams. Get pumped up while playing corn hole or listen to the game live. Either way, a radio is a necessity. 

5. A camera. Because it's essential to document all the fun, all the crazy shenanigans and your team's victory! Some great memories are made at tailgates; they should be remembered for years to come. 

There you go, folks. Those are my tailgating necessities: food, drinks and fun, with close friends, while cheering on my team!

Does it get more perfect? 



- A

1 comment:

  1. Jealous of your cooler weather! We are still in the 90's!
    Food is the BEST part of the games/tailgaiting! I always loooooooad my plate up ;)

    ReplyDelete