All That Glitters
Monday, September 15, 2014
The Grey
It's just one of those days, folks.
The sky is poignantly one shade of grey, and a dim haze is settling itself slowly in the air. The grass still remains a summery green, but the trees are busy fighting off the encapsulating yellows of autumn. It's a crisp, cool day; much chillier than a normal September day in Michigan. The Fall temperatures create goosebumps on exposed skin, an ever-present chill that seeps into the bones and down the spine, and sweaters and boots are called out from their hiding places.
With my feet stuffed into my slippers to ease the numbing cold surrounding my toes; a pair of sweatpants that wrap themselves loosely around my long limbs; and a sweatshirt that provides both comfort and warmth; I'm comfortably hiding from the grey.
A grey that has not only invaded the outside environment, but has made its way into the confines of my soul. The wrath of its tendrils brings out a laziness in me, stirring up images of warm blankets, hot tea and a good book or movie in my grasp while I lounge sloth-like on the couch. The grey maliciously laughs as I fight its pull and dive into my work even harder; it's Monday, I remind it.
The grey's twisted intentions snake their way through my brain and eventually find my emotional cavity. It teases any doubt, sadness and anger it can find in a fit of joy, and throws embers at an already struggling short-temper. Suppression and it's distant cousin acceptance prove to be no match for the convolution of the grey.
As we mourn the loss of summer warmth and sunbeams soaking into our skin, we must remember that with Fall often comes the grey days. Though it's the season I love the most, it hides within its confines a past of lethargic energy and ashen ambiance. But that's not all it has to offer, and that's what we must remember.
It's a time of death that leads to an exquisite rebirth; it's a time of orange pumpkins littering streets and porches with the promise of ghoulish delight and candy-fueled nights; it's a time of bountiful colors as leaves change and spark the landscape into a fiery scene.
Though it's grey today, I can be comforted with the fact that I know it won't last.
- A
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment