All That Glitters
Monday, September 29, 2014
Just Some Routine Things
Once again, it seems that I have fallen off the blogging wagon. But you can't blame me for trying to soak up every last ounce of summer before it's nothing but a memory!
Oh and ... I bought a house.
So that kind of takes up a little bit of time and energy, especially when it's totally and completely unexpected and happens much faster than I could have ever imagined.
I don't officially own it-own it yet, but it's pretty much mine. In a matter of only a few days, I stepped over the adult boundary into an entirely new frontier; one filled with mortgages, loans and renovations. And that's both exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.
But, honestly, I'm so damn excited (not to mention anxious). And I'm incredibly lucky. I don't think I'll ever be able to put into words all the emotions I'm feeling at this current moment in my life.
However, I am certainly not looking forward to packing up my life and moving again. I'm trying to decide between hiring a moving company or doing it myself with the help of friends and family. I'm leaning towards movers; it just seems easier.
Well, with that excitement out of the way, let's get into today's topic: routine.
I am a routine-loving individual. I do the same tasks/meals/mundane things every single day, each week, every month. It's comfortable for me, and when I find something I like, I stick with it.
For example, my alarm is set each morning at 6:30. I get up, do the same morning routine, then head to the gym, where I use the same locker every morning. If someone took my locker, I have a Plan B locker. My exercise routines do change depending on the day/how I'm feeling, but I do follow a schedule. Then I come home, have the exact same breakfast that I do every other day, fill a cup of water, make my green tea and come into my office to work. Then, mid-morning, I have the same snack I do every single day. My lunch is determined by my workout that day, as well as what plans are currently in place for later on that night. Then, I'll have a mid-afternoon snack, and at 5, I feed my cats, make dinner if I'm not going out and watch the same TV shows. If it's Monday, I'll go to Mug Night at my favorite brewery with my friends. Tuesdays, I have volleyball, etc. etc.
To some, that may seem boring. In fact, to some people that may seem absolutely ridiculous. But I love it and it works for me. If I'm taken out of my comfortable routine, by either a business trip or some other factor, I can adjust quickly. But even then, it only takes a few days before I'm longing for my normal routine.
Sometimes I find myself worrying that my inherent love of routine, organization, lists and so on make me a boring person. And I know for a fact that some of my friends judge me for my healthier choices and mundane tasks.
But, regardless of what my inner self says or what I hear from others, I know that I'm not a boring person. I follow a structure 90% of the time so I can be wild the other 10%. My mornings and afternoons are laid out in a nice little pre-packaged routine, tied up neatly with a bow, so my nights can revolve around activities, family dinners and fun. I don't turn down adventures. There are nights where my urge to dress up and dance is so strong, I have to succumb to it. I stay out late sometimes.
And that's what works for me. It's my routine.
Oatmeal in the morning, adventure at night.
- A
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Woaaaah, you bought a house?! That is awesome! Congratulations! I am doing a million happy dances for you! Routines are good. I have a loooot of routines. I'm a little bit of a type-a like that ;) haha. Hope the moving goes smoothly!
ReplyDelete