All That Glitters

Friday, August 22, 2014

Football Fan for Life


It's Friday! 

I don't know about you, but this week, for me, has seemed abnormally long. It was a great week, don't get me wrong. Just longer than usual! And it's going to end on a high note: I'm going to the Eminem concert tonight! I can't wait; it should be a lot of fun with my best girlfriends. 

But that's not why we're here today. Today is Football Friday! A linkup thanks to my dear blogging friend, Erin (even though she roots for the wrong team)!



If you know me at all, you know that my whole life revolves around sports. I grew up playing them, watching them and living them. And even though I'm a fan of them all, football has always been my favorite.

 Whether it's college or the NFL, I'll be watching! 

For starters, I'm a huge Michigan State Spartan fan! Yes, I didn't attend MSU for college, but who cares? 

My mom and my stepmom both went to school at MSU, so bleeding Green and White runs in my family. Growing up, I went to tons of football and basketball games in EL, so it became a sort of "second home" to me. 

If you didn't know, last year we were the Rose Bowl Champions and to say that it made me incredibly happy would be an understatement! For years, us State fans have had to endure and listen to U of M call us "Little Brother" (a nickname that I really, truly hate) and be chided as the bad football program of Michigan. But that's all changed. We're at the top of the charts now and have thoroughly enjoyed stepping on those cocky Wolverines to climb the ladder!

I can't even put into words just how excited I am for the upcoming season! Go Green, Go White!

Secondly, I am a HUGE Pittsburgh Steelers fan. 

No, I'm not from Pittsburgh. No, I have no family from or in Pittsburgh. In fact, I have absolutely zero ties to the state whatsoever. Whenever people find out that I'm a Steelers fan, they're always confused as to the origin of my allegiance. 

To answer that question: I have always liked them. Ever since I was a little girl, I had a fascination with the Steelers. Watching Monday Night Football games in the basement of my Dad's house, I rooted a little harder for the Black and Yellow. Maybe it was because of The Bus, maybe it was because they had some Michigan State players on the team, maybe it was the colors. Whatever the reasoning, it stuck with me. 

I grew up loving them and that's all I know. For some people, that explanation isn't good enough. "Whatever," they scoff. But to me, it's enough. There was obviously something that pulled me in at a young age, and my fandom has never wavered. 


Last November, I was able to attend my first ever game IN Pittsburgh! I've seen the Steelers play in Detroit a couple times, but nothing compares to a home game at Heinz Field. For once, I wasn't the minority. I was with my people - and yes, that's cheesy, but it's true! 

I wasn't being made fun of or hearing shit-talk. I was waving my Terrible Towel with other Steeler-loving, Black and Gold-wearing fans, and I loved every single second. 

My love for them may be unconventional, but it's real. 

I mean, come on. I even did a photoshoot in a Steelers jersey. 
Ryan Clark forever (even if he no longer plays for the Steelers). 




So, color me the happiest girl in the world that football season is right around the corner! I can't wait for the rivalries, the food, the Sundays/Mondays/Thursdays spent in front of the TV, the victories and even the losses. I'm ready for it all. 

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?



- A


2 comments:

  1. WOOHOO football!!! I'm a Cowboys fan, so yeah, can't cheer for your team ;)! I do love that you did a photoshoot in the jersey though, that's so fun!

    Stopping by from the linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am not a Steelers fan whatsoever, but that's really cute that you did a photoshoot in your team's jersey! I would definitely do that, too :)

    ReplyDelete