All That Glitters
Thursday, May 1, 2014
I Don't Like to Move It, Move It
Once again, I deemed it necessary to participate in a disappearing act. I won't be winning any blogging awards with my frequent week-long hiatuses.
But, never fear, I'm back. With a new job and a new apartment. It's crazy how much change can get jam-packed into a short amount of time. Even crazier is the change itself. A year ago, if you would have asked me where I would see myself in the future, today's answer would not have escaped from my lips.
People change, plans change, goals change. Such is life.
So, in the midst of all that, I did in fact move into my new place yesterday! And though I'm slightly terrified and battling the ever-growing feelings of homesickness, I'm pretty damn excited. A place that I can call my own - not "ours." A place that I can decorate however I want.
But before all that perfection happens, there's this little thing called moving. And moving sucks. It's notoriously obnoxious, time consuming and difficult. So without further ado, let's discuss the 10 most annoying things about moving.
#1. Packing your life away. This is the worst part, obviously, not to mention you realize just how much shit you really have.
#2. Boxes on boxes on boxes. You have more boxes than you can handle, labeled "kitchen" and "bathroom." Everything is everywhere. Bubblewrap is exploding out of the seams of your apartment.
#3. Transporting. Is my car big enough to take that table? Can I squeeze in that chair and ottoman? Or do I need to find some burly dude that drives a truck?
#4. Finding people to help. Luckily, I have awesome people in my life that helped me yesterday. But if I didn't have them, I'd be scrambling to call some strong gentlemen who might help me with all my heavy boxes and endless bags of clothes.
#5. I lift things up, I put them down. Lift, walk up flight of stairs, put down. Walk down stairs. Life, walk up flight of stairs, put down. It's a workout, but a back breaking one at that.
#6. Go home! New cabinets require new homes for all my cups. And new closets mean organizing my clothes and towels in new ways. Figuring out what goes where is hard, guys.
#7. Are my neighbors serial killers? Totally normal thought process, right? But seriously, you're moving in next to new people. Who knows what kind of quirks they have?
#8. I have no toilet paper. After moving, you realize all the things you need to buy. In my case, I'm leaving my ex in our old apartment with lots of my stuff and lots of shared belongings. So now I have to buy a couch, a TV, toilet paper, scissors, etc. etc.
#9. Where's Kroger? Yeah, I have no idea where the nearest grocery story is to my humble abode. I also need to find the closest Qdoba for personal reasons. #quesofordays
#10. Cable guy. Now that you're all moved in, it's time to struggle with electric bills, heating bills and cable! Joy.
Moving is a tough process. Take all of your shit and move it into this entirely different place, then rearrange all the shit and live happily ever after. Do you know how much thought goes into placing your glasses in the correct cabinet in your brand new kitchen? A lot, that's how much.
Sorry, I'm rambling. Anyway. I'm happy, I'm excited and I'm sore.
But mainly, I'm eager to decorate.
- A
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment