All That Glitters
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
V-Day Slump
You guys, I just can't handle winter anymore. I'm so sick and tired of snow, extremely frigid temperatures and slush. Not to mention everything that comes with it (i.e. dry skin, chapped lips, cold hands, big coats, etc).
If I don't get some sun or warmth soon, I might just go insane. I wanted to throw that out there, as a public service announcement, in case anyone gets worried about me or my whereabouts in the weeks to come.
I digress.
Today's post has nothing to do with winter or my bitching about the weather. After some thinking, I've decided to write a post about the sometimes-dreaded, often-celebrated holiday that has plopped itself at the end of this week: Valentine's Day.
I have always been a firm believer and strong lover of all things Valentine. The hearts, the candy, the feelings - I always rejoiced when February 14th rolled around. I was one of those people who fought tooth-and-nail against anyone that called it a Hallmark holiday. I defended its name as if it were my own. I loved the day of love (and the candy and presents that came with it).
But this year, that has changed. For reasons even unbeknownst to me.
The day that I usually celebrate wholeheartedly has become a day that I don't really want to celebrate this year. In fact, my boyfriend made reservations at one of my favorite restaurants - a fancier seafood place - and I told him to cancel them. Instead, I suggested fast food and hanging out with friends. Who am I?
I have no idea. What person turns down lobster and the best bread in the entire world for T. Bell and some Wendy's nuggets? This girl. Right here. Raising her hand with no clue as to why.
Now let me say this: I still believe Valentines Day is a wonderful day in a sense. Who the fuck cares if it's a Hallmark holiday or a real holiday? It's still a holiday whether you like it or not, so just get over it and get a new argument. And for those people who say, "I don't need a holiday to tell me to love, or show my love for, my significant other," I call bullshit. Just because you celebrate VDay doesn't mean you and your loved ones are ONLY supposed to show you care on one day of the year. No, it means taking the time to maybe celebrate a little extra, do a little more or show a little extra love and appreciation, which doesn't mean, in any stretch of the imagination, that there's no love the other 364 days of the year.
Plus, there's chocolate. And candy hearts. I mean, come on.
But this year, I just don't feel like celebrating. The day that I've always loved holds no "special" love for me in 2014. I just want to have a good day, eat some candy and have fun. That's it. No extensively planned romantic gestures needed.
Just be sweet to me and give me an extra hug. And maybe buy my Cheesy Gordita Crunch.
- A
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment