All That Glitters
Wednesday, May 29, 2013
It's a Virtue
Oh me, oh my. Ladies and gents, it's Wednesday. Not only that, it's the Wednesday of a short, four-day week. After Memorial Day weekend. Meaning, "Yes, it's a short week, but it's going to be a long one because you just had a nice, relaxing holiday weekend." Because that's how life goes.
My weekend was wonderful; I went up north to my family's cottage with my beau in tow. My dad and stepmom (the parentals, as I call them) tore down my stepmom's parent's house up there and have completely rebuilt/redid it. They also had the porch and living room expanded on our cottage. Lots of construction, lots of frustrations. The parentals have been getting on my case and giving me shit about not helping with said projects for months now, so my beau and I made it our duty to spend our weekend helping them. While also enjoying the amazing weather and my favorite city on the planet. It was a win-win for everyone involved.
Returned to real life Monday night to a thankful-to-have-us-home kitten. Tuesday (or pseudo-Monday) was filled with three To-Do lists and a ridiculously productive me. I was a working fiend, even writing an entire article in only a couple hours. Today is a different story. My To-Do list is down to four things and I can't seem to find the motivation to accomplish them. I've done so much already - it's time for a mind break, amiright?
Over the weekend, I came up with a fantastic blog topic, even starting to write it in my head as I was going on thinking about it. However, the profound idea flew out of my head as soon as I returned to this area code. I can't for the life of me remember what I wanted to write about. Loyalty? Honesty? Confidence? Love? I just don't know. The more I try and remember, the more flustered I get.
Oh! A good topic actually just came to me. Let's talk about patience.
One reason this thought popped into my head, for starters, is my lack of the word. One of my character faults is my sometimes nonexistent patience with others. The other times, I could wait for something for days. Let's face it, I'm a conundrum.
The other reason this thought popped into my head is my step-grandma: she has Alzheimer's. She was staying at our cottage up north this weekend, and I haven't been around her for longer than a couple hours or, really, for that matter, any extended period of time. I hadn't realized just how bad she's become. She repeats things every couple of minutes. For example: "who made this wonderful dinner?" Then a minute later, "who's the chef?" Or "It's such a gorgeous day outside!" Two seconds later, "It's so pretty out today." Thankfully, she's still an extremely kind, warmhearted, sweet person without any frustration or anger. She remembers some things and a couple people, but otherwise, she just repeats phrases, questions and sentences.
My grandpa treats her the same as he did when she wasn't ill. He loves her so unconditionally and has the utmost patience with her. I never really took notice of it until this weekend. She'll say something fifty times and he will answer her or say something every single time. Once in a while, he'll say something a little snarky or playful, obviously a tad frustrated, but she'll just playfully swat at him and laugh, thinking he's being a jokester.
My stepmom also, for the most part, exhibits extreme patience with her mom. She'll respond to her questions, thank her for her praises, but after the 10th or so time, won't say anything. I noticed this weekend that that's how we all handled it as well - my dad, boyfriend and I. We would remark the first few times, then slowly stop responding. Sooner or later, she moves on to another topic or falls quiet.
I cannot fathom dealing with the constant questions, the memory loss, on a daily basis. That to me is the ultimate test of a person's patience. Because of this realization, I have a whole new level of respect for my grandpa. I truly hope to never be in his shoes, but if I ever find myself in that position, I hope I handle it with the grace and respect he has. That man has the patience of a saint - of a god, even.
I know I've mentioned before that I'd like to have more patience (specifically with my boyfriend... that scoundrel) and after this weekend, I want to prioritize that goal. Patience for everyone! I just wish for each person in the world to have a little more patience for their fellow humans - it would make the world an easier place to live, that's for sure.
Anyway - I'm calling it quits on this post. Just remember, friends: it's almost the weekend. Already!
- A
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment