All That Glitters
Wednesday, September 23, 2015
Be Strong (and Supportive!)
Today is the first day of Fall! Excuse my "basic bitch"-ness, but I adore this season. Chilly temps, boots and sweaters, non-stop football, Halloween and all things pumpkin? It doesn't get any better.
I have no idea where September went, but adios, because this girl couldn't be happier about it.
Today, I want to share something a little personal about myself. A goal, if you will.
As some know (but most do not), I work out religiously 5 to 6 days a week. Heavy lifting is my passion, my love and my life. Every single morning, I wake up at 6:45, do my little pre-workout routine, and head to the gym.
This love of mine has sparked a fire within me.
And because of that, I will soon be competing in a fitness competition.
A lot of people don't understand this lifestyle I've chosen. They don't understand the supplements, the need to workout every day and the semi-rigid diet. Yes, I have to eat six times a day. No, I don't hate it. And that's fine. You don't have to understand it. It's MY dream and MY goal. I love this lifestyle, and I want to find the dedication it takes to go through a comp prep and be in the best shape of my life. Not to mention find the confidence to walk across a stage in a tiny, sparkling bikini with people critiquing every inch of me.
To each their own, right?
So... Here are a few things NOT to say to a girl that lifts/is on prep:
- Don't get too big....
- Ew. I hate a girl with muscles!
- Those girls look so gross. Why would you do that?
- Here, have a piece of pizza. It's just one treat, who cares?
- What, do you live off chicken and broccoli now?
- I don't know how you find the time to workout. I just don't have the time.
- Do you have to get one of those awful tans?
- But you're so skinny already!
- So do you, like, starve yourself?
- Get any bigger and you'll bust out of your shorts!
- Are you going to look like a dude?
- Why won't you have a beer? You're so lame now.
- You're crazy.
The fun thing is I've actually heard, oh, about 100-percent of these. So, dear people, just be supportive, nice and understanding if you know someone going through prep. Us "crazy-folk" are already going through enough without suffering through ignorance and rude comments.
Here's a blurb from a fitness blog I found that perfectly describes this:
"Someone who has made this commitment is about to make an incredible lifestyle change and it is not easy, nope, not at all. As a friend or family member of a competitor (especially a first time competitor) head my advice and be SUPPORTIVE. Every competitor will have their ups and downs, mood swings, etc. But so does everyone else-they’re still human after all! When an individual dives head first into a show prep, they are completely pushing beyond their limits both physically and mentally. What you say to a person during their show prep can either have very positive or negative affects on your relationship with them during prep and post competition. You never know what will stick with someone and thus add even more anxiety and stress to an already depleted competitor."
Stay strong, my friends.
- A
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment