All That Glitters

Monday, March 2, 2015

Bad Habits


Happy March! I can't believe we're one step closer to warm weather. It seems like stepping outside in anything less than four layers and a winter coat is just an urban legend. What are shorts again? 

In between my daydreams of sunny, warm temperatures and springtime, a topic for a blog post came to mind. Right now, we're in the midst of a little thing called Lent. I am in no way, shape or form a religious person, but I like to somewhat participate in this observance in a different way. Though its intent is simple living in order to grow closer to God, I recognize it as simple living in order to grow closer to myself. I mean, the bettering of one's soul/life is the main objective, regardless of religious belief, correct? 

This year, I didn't give anything up. On the contrary, I decided to do more instead. Drink more water, be a better friend, focus on happy, etc. But lately, I've been thinking that I might have made a mistake. 

There are a few things that I'm realizing I should have vowed to give up for Lent:  

+ Candy, Sweets and all the Treats. I believe in moderation. I believe in treating yo'self. I believe in life is too short, so eat dessert. However, there's a strong possibility that I should have given up a few of my indulgences. A little less chocolate, or cookies, or my mom's homemade 7-layer bars didn't hurt anyone. 

+ Bread. I lift weights daily, so I'm not afraid of carbs. But that breadstick on the side of my salad or those rolls the waitress brings possibly don't need to be fully enjoyed. Some restraint might be in my best interest. 

+ Emotions. Cause, duh. 

+ Spending Money. I'm not a crazy shopaholic, nor do I blow through my bank account like it's my job; however, I just bought a new house, so decorating seems like a priority right now. In hindsight, I should have given up handing over my dollars for a new rug for the next 40 days. My bank account would have appreciated it. 

+ Procrastination. I think every person wishes they could give up some of their procrastinating. Repeat after me: Productivity is our friend! 

+ Waking Up at 7 a.m. on the Weekends. Why, oh why didn't I give this bad habit up?!

+ That Time of the Month. Wouldn't it be nice to hand this little monthly gift back to Mother Nature for Lent and say, "Sorry, but I gave this up. I'll see you in 40 days!" 

+ Snow. This is a given for anyone that lives in the Midwest. 

Hopefully, I'll remember this list for next year and manage to do Lent better. Because giving up eating 48 candy hearts in one sitting, then crying because of how fat I feel, then realizing I'm PMSing while walking to my car in -15 degree temperatures sounds better than drinking another damn glass of water. 


- A

No comments:

Post a Comment