All That Glitters
Friday, January 9, 2015
Holiday Season Recap
Well, it's been almost a month since my last blog post. December was a blur of traveling for work, the holiday frenzy and settling into my new home. And now, it's January; I just have no idea of where the time went.
I moved into my new abode around Thanksgiving and I've been feverishly trying, day in and day out, to make it a home. Figuring out where to put things and what I still need/want is a never-ending process, but its getting there. Pictures are on walls, rugs are starting to find their way onto the floor, etc. The contractor even starts work next week to finally put the finishing touches (and doors!) inside this little house of mine.
Though I had some smidgeon of an idea, no one truly warned me just how expensive owning your own home is. The MTV tagline, "You think you know, but you have no idea" is the perfect fit when it comes to first-time home ownership. Those same rugs, doors and furniture I just mentioned are pricier than you might think, with the total amount you've spent creeping higher and higher.
However, that's where the gratitude comes in. I'm beyond lucky, in more ways than one and I'm not afraid to admit that.
Throughout the holiday season, I had a lot of time off of work, which was just wonderful. Having the extra minutes throughout the day to do things around the house and settle into my new home completely was something I truly appreciated. Having a job that afforded me that time off is another blessing to add to the list.
Anyways, the weeks after my moving in involved a business trip to Wichita, Kansas and a few parties held in preparation for the Christmas season. An ugly sweater shindig and my very own Housewarming Party instilled the holiday spirit in us all and set the tone for Dec. 25th.
With all of the spending on my new digs, I won't lie that I was a little worried about Christmas and successfully treating my loved ones. That was a novice fear though, because I was able to spoil them as they've done to me without being too extravagant. After all, it's the thought that counts, am I right?
All in all, this Christmas season was filled with bountiful love. I celebrated with my new beau's family on Christmas Eve and my own on Christmas Day. As cheesy as it sounds, it really was a holiday of pure joy.
New Years Eve came as suddenly as it was over. I won't go into great detail, but it was an okay night. Not what I was expecting, not the best, but still had its fun moments. A first happened that night, one that taught and showed me a lot -- for the better. It was eye-opening in the best way possible, to say the least.
And now, here we are. January 9th, 2015. What a difference a year makes. I feel like a completely different person than I was last January, and I feel like I've learned so much over the course of those 365 days. It's remarkable to look back and see just how different you are.
Speaking of, I do have some resolutions for this year, but I'm just not in the sharing mood right now (I say, as I write a public blog post for my public blog). Maybe at some point I'll share them, but right now, they're comfortable in the confines of a journal.
Happy New Year, all.
- A
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment