All That Glitters
Monday, January 7, 2013
Commas Are This Girl's Best Friend
Today I feel like writing about the English language. Strange? Maybe. Necessary? Absolutely. A press release that I edited this morning might have sparked this blog post, but I'll never reveal the truth! (It's true. So poorly written... sigh.)
Like I've mentioned in a previous post, I've always been a writer and reader. Words are my thing, as math is my boyfriends. I was an accelerated reader in elementary school and a published author by middle school. During my dark periods in high school, I wrote a good amount of rather deep poetry to express my emotions; one of which was selected to be included in a book of poems. Now, let me say, this is by no-means bragging. I'm merely revisiting my love of words and how it all began. Later in life, I took a number of Journalism and English classes in college to continue my passions. An old friend of mine even nicknamed me "The English Teacher" because of my constant need to correct grammar, spelling and otherwise. After graduation, I landed a fantastic internship-turned-job as a magazine editor.
Through this job, I have acquired more knowledge about the English language than I ever had throughout school. Learning about commas and their placement in 8th grade didn't resonate as strongly then as it does now, with me now editing pieces for well-read magazines. Its been an adjustment for me, that's for sure - in the beginning, I didn't know very much about AP style and all the magazine writing tips. But through a year and a half here, I now know all the abbreviations required for press releases/stories and stylistic corrections needed. I know where commas go, what states to alter, what dates should look like and how to correctly form a sentence. I'm at a pretty good level, but I'm definitely still learning and there's always room for growth.
I have become a dedicated, almost-obsessive editor as well. I proofread thoroughly, because I honestly hate mistakes. (They didn't call me The English Teacher for nothing!) Maybe it all stems from the obnoxiously-written and mistake-riddled press releases I sometimes receive. But I truly despise when people are unable to form a complete sentence, are unable to form a spoken phrase correctly with punctuation marks, or have no punctuation in general. Comma usage is important, friends. The small little swoosh insinuates breaks, breathers, pauses and separations. (See what they did for that sentence there?)
I'm not trying to be harsh, nor am I trying to sound like The Queen of English. I'm simply saying that I wish more people took the time to proofread what they're writing, learn how to speak in complete (and well-formed) sentences and learn the tools of punctuation. Nowadays, with online/texting abbreviations, I feel that our language is heading down the drain and well-spoken young people are a rare commodity. It's extremely disappointing and, actually, really frightening. I only hope (As Princess Leia would say "You're my only hope.") that the English language doesn't dissipate into a world of LOLs and How R U's.
This word lover, however, will always hug her commas close and appreciate the finer things in life, like a great letter, a lovely poem, an amazing book and well-written sentences.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment